By: Cheryl Gushue
Lead stylist Anthony Turner for Wella Professionals embraced the natural texture of hair, highlighting and the juxtaposition of matte and shiny to create a messy, yet chic, pulled back hair look. Inspired by Prabal Gurung’s SS 2019 collection showcasing Nepalese heritage and global street style, Turner created a look for the woman who is on the go and pulls back her hair in an effortless way. “This woman is a free spirit, she’s been on a journey. Whether at the beach or walking for a few days the look is nomadic, messy and a bit sexy. There’s some oily texture in the front and dry, messy texture throughout the rest of the hair to keep it modern.”
GET THE LOOK:
- Use Wella Professional’s EIMI Extra Volume Mousse at the roots of hair with your fingers to pull the product through the remainder of the hair. Rough blow dry twisting hair to create waves.
- Spray Wella Professional’s EIMI Ocean Spritz throughout the hair until damp to create matte texture. Blow dry again.
- Once hair is dry use Hot Tools 1” Black Gold Curling Iron to curl a few sections of hair and backcomb the remaining sections of hair to build volume and rough texture.
- Once dry spray EIMI Sugar Lift to add shine and build texture.
- Gather and pull hair into a ponytail at the low back of the head and secure with an elastic. Begin to pull out small sections of hair at the hairline to create volume and rough texture on top of the head.
- Split the pony-tail in half. Use Hot Tools Black Gold XL Flat Iron to tame unruly pieces. Take the top half, twist hair into a figure 8 and pin the hair at the top and side.
- Twist the remaining half of the ponytail into a chignon, leaving 1-2 inches of the ends sticking out. Pull out pieces of hair for a messy, undone look.
- Finish the look by spraying both EIMI Sugar Lift and Ocean Spritz to dial up the combination of shiny and matte texture.